South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway
Origins to this line was not to move passengers but in aid to move high quality ore from one side of the Cumbrian Pennines to the other side’s Blast furnesses otherwise it’s a long unwelcome trek via Newcastle and Carlisle.
The 19mile Ingleton line was a rural railway line originally within the boundaries of West Riding of Yorkshire, Lancashire and Westmorland.
Isolated mines, agriculture and industry span this area and for its people they truly lived traditional and a gentle way of life.
The Burcough Curves
Starting with Midge Hall Stn about 23 from Liverpool - line was planed by Ormskirk and Preston Rwy but opened in 1849 East Lancashire Railway then amalgamated with Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, October that year Midge Hall was opened. Closed by British Railways on 2 October 1961.
Over 130 closed railway stations in Lancashire since 1840. The dream started in December 1863, a prospectus was produced naming six directors of the Garstang and Knot-End Railway. Two years after the line was opened the only steam locomotive broke down.
Glasson Dock Branch Line to Lancaster | My journey today will explore some of the Dock Branch Railways features from here at the dock, the railway itself, a viaduct, past gas works and Lancaster Railway Station on the West Coast Mainline.
Abandoned Brock Railway Station
Before we start with Brock Station, as with many stations up and down the country there was a predecessor.
Designed by the Cumbrian engineer Sir Thomas Bouch - Built in 1861, 90ft high on fourteen stone arches and Part of the South Durham & Lancashire Union Railway.
The small sea-port at Sandside was used for importing wines from France and other goods from Ireland, Isle of Man and west of England by 17th century, was principal port of Westmorland until 19th century up until the arrival of the railway in 1876.
Preston and Longridge Railway Co established 1836 to build a tramway from Tootle Heights Quarry in Longridge to Preston.