It was built in 1840 and lasted nine years before it was de commissioned. This station was just East off Billsborrow lane in a little area known locally called Duncombe.
The bridge over the river was also called Roebuck bridge, a structure more impressive than the station. Why? well the station probably had no platform, or station buildings, it’s mentioned it was only a small little box or sentry box beside the track.
| || |
As much as I’ve tried to find out more unfortunately Roebuck is nothing more than committed to history like a railway ghost.
But unlike Roebuck around 1849 a new station was built to accommodate the ever inflating popularity of the railways.
Canal’s roam along the area also and then so did the railway.
This stretch we now know as the West Coast Mainline was completed when the Lancaster and Preston Junction Railway opened in it 1840.
Brock station was built about half a mile north of Roebuck which survived until 1939. The goods station remained here for a further 15 years.
In Brock station lasted 90 years! Can you imagine that - compared to the what 69 years it been closed, you can only imagine how busy and popular this station had become.
90 years is longer than the average life expectancy of most Britain’s toady. Children growing up with a familiar scene of rail traffic to what is now - very little if any evidence it ever existed.
One life taken by this line was in June 1874, Anne Baines, aged 75, the widow of the late Matthew Talbot Baines, former MP for Leeds, caught the train from Lancaster to Brock railway station.
There was no walk over bridge or subway here, to get to the other platform you had to walk across the tracks. This is what Anne Baines did to connect here onward journey. After sitting in the waiting room she had noticed an oncoming train, thinking this was her connection she dashed across the tracks to catch that train.
The driver of the passing express train from Preston blew his whistle and slammed on the breaks but nothing could have been done to save Anne Baines.
She was killed instantly as others had seen her collide with the locomotive and was torn in two.
Her remains were collected from along the line and taken to the Green Man Inn at Myersough.
Obviously the line still exists, and will do for many years to come. Originally built by by different companies between the 1830s and the 1880s. After the completion of the successful Liverpool and Manchester Railway in 1830.
This part was built by the Lancaster and Preston Junction Railway and the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway, later the whole section was absorbed by the LNWR.
The route came under the sole control of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) on 1 January 1923 when the different railway companies were grouped, under the Railways Act 1921.
A lot of history over the years especially since the 1955 modernisation plan, when the line was modernised and electrified in stages between 1959 and 1974.
So 90’s years of being a railway station involving many lives for work and pleasure, It’s ironic to think how to modernised roman road, and canal way superseded the station twice over taking a life with it.
But the railway line is still firmly here. Who knows what the next chapter in this section of rail travel will hold.